Sunday, April 20, 2008

Stinky Diapers, Stinging Rain, & Changing Weather [4/5/08]

It has been awhile...Oops! Life has gotten busy. For 7+ months, I have been a new daddy to a baby girl. She has changed my life, our lives, my perspective on the world. It's not perfect, mind you, some sort of blissful utopia. It is far from it. I have become more cranky, not at her, but my wife in general. I feel like Mr. Cravits a lot. I'm not old either. Well, I'm getting older.

I'm 42. 8 years from 50. Sometimes the thought gnaws in my head. Most times, it is all good though. You see, my interest in music should be slowing down, but it is actually enveloping. Most guys my age or slightly older have embraced the dinosaur classic rock of the 70's and some from the 80's. I like that music, but it has its place. Classic rock radio is still the same as it was 20 years ago. They have just gotten rid of their albums and CD's, and now catalog everything in a huge mp3 database. Whatever!

I still get a jolt from checking out a new band. The style can be pretty much anything. I have even progressed to the point of tolerating, now slowly embracing, hardcore music. Screamo music has got to work in the seams for it to matter to me. I am digging Underoath, and a couple other indie bands that I reviewed. It is all good.

I am also embracing and relishing in my past as a Christian. I grew up in a Christian home, but my taste for this new "Christian" rock was pushing boundaries to what I believed, and the church around me. It is exciting that this whole scene has developed as a niche and has become more widely accepted in the church.

My reconnection progressed as I started putting together thecannyshark podcasts. Putting my old albums onto my hard drive as mp3's gave them new life for me.

I was just contacted very recently by Paul Fry, former bass player for Stinging Rain. This was an independent band from Grove City, PA. They had 3 CD's out (2 and 1/2 really), but their sound was so easy to latch onto. You could hear REM, The Cure, and U2, among others in their overall mix. I was jacked up when I first discovered them in 91! I loved the song "Return". It sounded to me like a song in the ballpark of U2's War, but more gutteral and fresh. It still sounds fresh.

I think Paul and I were meant to connect. Word of our pneumatic tire website is slowly getting out there. We put this site on the web to hopefully connect with fans and the artists who labored over our passionate addictions. I am addicted to discovering new bands and artists, remembering bands who in some small manner helped to pave the way, and desiring to network and make new friends along the way.

This is what it is all about. God is at the center of this, I believe. If one person is changed by the positive message that comes through the overwhelming majority of this music, then it is worth the effort

No comments: