Sunday, April 20, 2008

How "The Forgotten" podcasts came about [11/2/07]

Back in the early days, there was Jesus music. A lot of times, this was folk music with a Christ centered message. Much of the vinyl pumped out to the early Christian radio stations was sacred, Bill Gaither/Maranatha syrupy chorus, and some Jesus music.

It wasn't until bands and artists like Larry Norman, Randy Stonehill, and Daniel Amos began to influence this "market", meaning the United States, that modern churches were beginning to deal with rock music within their stained glass structures. The U.K. was ahead of us in those regards.

Many in the mainstream churches, aside from Chuck Smith's influence on the west coast, were slow to accept any form of rock music, claiming it to be the work of the devil. The infamous "beat" and backmasking were lame attempts to keep it all at bay.

Enter Daniel Amos. The "Alarma" album came out in 1981. The remaining three albums in the "Alarma Chronicles" would release through 1985, but the influence of Alarma would create a wellspring of artists and bands that embraced the unshackling of the modern church. It wasn't just about hymns and sacred music anymore.

Much of the music I choose for The Forgotten podcasts are from vinyl turned to mp3 format. A little plug is due the makers of the Ion USB Turntable for helping in this little endeavor. The music itself ranges from the late '70's to the '90's.

In this new day of music on the go, whether it be an iPod, cell phone, or downloaded from the internet, the essence of vinyl, more importantly the essence of the actual artist is verging on oblivion.

I remember listening to an entire album through with headphones because it drove my parents crazy. When they were gone, I would crank it, pretending to play air guitar. Some of you may know how the typical teenager was back in the 70's and early 80's. Now I listen in my car, on my iPod, or through the computer speakers.

It's sad how disposable it has all become. Yet I look around my computer room and see tons of CD's and some vinyl that are becoming impossible to enjoy as I once did. The Forgotten means if you're a collector, you will probably find the artist/band on ebay or at a garage sale somewhere. For all intents and purposes, it is forgotten in the subconcscious.

You will rarely, at best, see any of these older albums or earlier CD's even in the bargain bins. Pretty soon, there may not even be bargain bins the way the record industry is collapsing.

I was going back to my roots as a believer in God, when I decided it was time to convert the albums to mp3's. I know how this music influenced me then. I never want to forget it.

No comments: