Sunday, March 14, 2010

Cannonhands - Laughter, Blood, And Spit



Cannonhands
Laughter, Blood, And Spit
©2009 Future Destination Records
www.fdrecords.com

I always wondered what would happen if hipster rock artists like Dave Bazan, Damien Jurado, and Jeremy Enigk met with their axes in a field of flowers and started tapping into their creative juices. What would come of it? Generally introspective and somewhat sparse, they might put their tendencies toward the negative aside and embrace the beauty around them.

My first inclination upon hearing Cannonhands was to jump around and frolic in the flowers. Goofy as though it may sound, there is a happy vibe to these guys that beckons having some fun, and I don’t mean that simplistic new punk sound! As I’m writing this, I’m laughing because “All Bets Are Off” is fairly punkish. Up against the remaining songs on the disc, it stands apart from the norm. They have a gutsy, blues-ish sound very akin to Gasoline Heart, but a sound all their own.

This is a good “cruising” disc or one to bounce around the house and just enjoy the day. I do see that field of blowing flowers off in the distance.

9 of 10 clicks
December 2009

1 comment:

pupofacub said...

This is an amazing album. I love every track. There is so much diversity in the music, but a binding sincerity and enthusiasm for the songs. Great songwriting as well. These songs actually have merit and a message at the heart of them as well. I can't wait for the next one.