Sunday, May 3, 2009

Joy Focus - Cyber Suburban Electro Rock Circus



Joy Focus
Cyber Suburban Electro Rock Circus
©2009 Atomic Monster Productions
www.joyfocus.com

The first time I slipped this in and played it, I thought a tamer, more positive version of Alexa. After repeated listens, my conclusion did not fit the bill entirely. A female pop voice melded to pop rock strong on guitar with pop-synth undertones is the closest description I can make. The title of the release should prepare the listener anyway.

I have to admit, this marginally caught my attention. The sonic package does flow well: good vocals reminding me of mid-80’s Belinda Carlisle, strong harmonies, and catchy songwriting. It’s just this will fall by the wayside because of it being too neatly packaged. I wish it were rougher rather than refined.

7 of 10 clicks
thecannyshark
May 2009

No comments: